   Re: [xml-dev] One (jaundiced?) view of Microsoft's vision for XML

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
> http://www.linuxworld.com/2003/0513.murphy.html

Bah.  Reverse-engineering XML is a heckuva lot easier than
reverse-engineering the current MSWord, etc., formats.  And by
definition then, XSLT can be made to clean it up however you want.

My concern about the MSFT adoption of XML -- and where I see "danger"
(although that's a fairly overwrought term) -- is that everything is
based on the Infoset.  There's no standard API (unlike DOM), and no
standard data format (unlike any standardized programming language).
While there are valid architectural reasons for working this way, I'm
sure it hasn't escaped the notice of some in Redmond that this lets them
have their cake and eat it too.

Perhaps it's time to ask for a new Infoset WG, with the aim of moving
from abstract toward interoperable?  Like an ASN.1 basis, for example...
	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology         http://www.datapower.com