   Re: [xml-dev] Parsing values from a XML fil to a XSD schema

[John Stubbe]
> I am trying to pass some values from a XML file to a Schema. But I can't
> quit figure out how to do it. I suppose that I have to use a XSL but I am
> not quite sure.

You mean to create a modified version of the schema?

> Is it possible to use some kind of copy or include?

From your example it looks like a good application for xslt, and the
Mulberry xsl list would be the place to ask your questions.

> To give you a better understanding try to look at these to peaces of code:
>
> XML:
> <rule>
> <description>Max</description>
> <value>2</value>
> </rule>
>
> XSD:
> <xs:sequence>
> <xs:element name="answer" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="insert_here"/>
> </xs:sequence>
>
> I would like to add the value field (2) to the XSD in the maxOccurs
> (insert_here)

The main thing you have to work out is how to match the right part of the
schema to its corrsponding part of the rules document.  You have not shown
enough information to do this. Generally speaking, to copy with change you
would usually start with an identity transform, and then add specialized
templates that change certain nodes.

You could start by looking in the xslt FAQs for "identity transform" and
"document()"

Cheers,

Tom P