   RE: Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model

Because I am working on data models, I will share my two cents worth of
impressions..

First off, data model consists of 3 parts: structures, constraints, and
operations.

You can standardize such data models only for applications.

The XQuery/XPath data model is for applications that want to retrieve data
from XML documents. The operations are defined using XPath/XQuery.

But this does not make it a standard for all applications, we can write
xml schemas also as XML. Do the same model and operations as defined in
XPath/XQuery suitable? probably not..

It probably is not useful to define, for example, what are the children of
a complex type? it could be xsd:sequence.. what do you get from it?

Similarly, suppose you want to write a query like: I want to find all
possible element tags that could be descendants of an element? It is
definitely not easy to write such a query using XPath..

So when you want to analyze XML Schemas, you want to probably come up with
a different data model, and probably a different set of operations..

Conclusion: I believe it is not right to say XPath/XQuery data model is
*the* data model for all XML documents..

cheers and regards - murali.