   RE: Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model

  • To: "Murali Mani" <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:40:10 -0700

a.) The data model is a foundation upon which application semantics can be built. I can say similar things about how the relational model's quaint notions of tuples and  keys does not make it easy to answer questions like "Who is my best customer?". However this doesn't mean I can't create databases that hold my customer information nor can I create queries that answer such questions. Similarly, it doesn't mean once I have done this my application semantics will directly expose the underlying structure of my database or the underlying SQL queries being run.

b.) Since XML Schema documents are constructed as XML as long as I have all the input schemas accessible as documents I can construct queries in XQuery that can retrieve information like "find all
possible element tags that could be descendants of an element" actually I'm sure you meant to say find all elements whose type definition is a descendent of the type definition of another element since XPath provides a trivial way to get the descendants of an element.