   RE: Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model

  • To: "Murali Mani" <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [xml-dev] Syntax + object model
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 11:44:34 -0700
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

A book is made up of a sequence of characters which are grouped into words and clustered together to form paragraphs. Whatever semantics one wants to give the words, chapters, etc beyond that is up to the author and the reader. A dictionary is a fundamentally different kind of book from a bible which is fundamentally different from a text book and people read all three in different ways. I don't see why one would then disagree over whether the content of all books have underlying core aspects that are universal. This clearly the case as is the case with XML documents.

As for your request for a query, it wouldn't be easy to write but is possible.  I know this because any XML Schema processor is doing exactly the same thing to build up its schema components because it accepts an XML infoset as input from which it generates schema components.

I'd love to provide the XQuery query as a proof of concept but don't have the time right now. I'm sure I'll end up sending you one some weekend when a free afternoon presents itself. :)