   Reading specs between the lines( Was: Syntax + object model)

In a message dated 25/05/2003 09:43:56 GMT Daylight Time, cowan@mercury.ccil.org writes:

As the Infoset says, infosets can be created in other ways than by
parsing; and as it does not say, they can contain information items and
properties not mentioned in the Infoset (but this is implied by the
absence of exclusion clauses).

John,

I find that a slightly worrying approach to the interpretation of W3C specifications.

Arguing from whitespace in a specification seems to me to be a pretty unreliable approach.

Can one assume that an infoset can be a duck? :) .... I am not sure how an infoset looks, walks or talks (crucial criteria for Dare seemingly) .... but since the Infoset Rec doesn't have an exclusion clause to specify that it isn't a duck one can assume that it is? :)

If the WG intended to say something significant about an/the infoset but failed to say it, then surely a short erratum would be in order?

Andrew Watt