   RE: [xml-dev] Does SAX make sense?

Perhaps
> someone could answer what class of XPaths, if known prior to document
> parse,
> can not be satisfied during the document parsing?
>
> <root>
>   <child name="C1">Foo</child>
>   <child name="C2">Bar</child>
> </root>
>
> If, before parsing, we know that we need to satisfy
> "/root/child[@name='C2']" Why could this not be satisfied? Maybe
coming up
> with a common SAX->XPath->Results Filter which had a standard
mechanism
> (e.g. Interface?) for passing back XPath results as encountered in the
> process of a SAX stream would be a good plan.
>
> It strikes me that even the preceding-sibling and ancestor axes could
be
> handled with a simple stack. This would still limit memory consumption
and
> the objects in the stack could be reused for different "branches".

This simple stack mechanism is how I implemented this. Of course you
have to protect against DoS attacks through user input infinite
recursive expressions.

> If all of this was embedded in an interface so that you could register
> XPaths before the document parse, and then receive callbacks (or
store)
> the
> results of those XPaths you would have something pretty nice. Does
this
> already exist?

There are several implementations, but I don't know of any standard
interface. I have been thinking that having a standard interface just
for passing XPath expressions to an event parser would be great. Anyone
know of a standard being worked, implementations, or interested in
starting a working group? If so, I'm in.

Martin.