   Scary (Re: [xml-dev] ANN: owl.dtd)

From: "Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org>

> A few points of clarification:
>
> 1) I agree that standards need to be testable -- this is a _requirement_ for
> ASTM standards for example.

Do you have a reference for this?

The ASTM website it strange: I had to access it through google pages. Frankly,
I found the page "National Standards Strategy for the United States" by the
ANSI steering committee to be really disappointing, if not downright scary:

"The exclusion of technology supporting U.S. needs from international standards
can be a significant detriment to U.S. competitiveness. The U.S. will lose market share
as competitors work hard to shape standards to support their own technologies and methods.
Equally important, standards are the basis for protection of health, safety and the environment.
When our standards in these areas are not accepted elsewhere, we all lose."

Poor U.S.: I guess being "excluded" means "not being automatically accepted."
This coupled with their vision that

"There is at most one globally applied standard and one globally accepted
test, with conformity assessment processes appropriate to the needs of the
parties, for each characteristic of a product, process or service."

This from the land that rejects metric measurements! But also wrong-headed:
one-size-fits-all only encourages too-large specifications.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe