From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:pdurusau@emory.edu]
Sent: Wed 5/28/2003 2:59 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Cc: zhengyu
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Does SAX make sense?

Jimmy,

zhengyu wrote:

>I have got a weird question in mind that I would like to toss it out.
>
>Suppose there is a way to offer DOM type interface with SAX kind of
>efficiency.

Matthew O'Donnnell and I have made a series of presentations on this
particular issue. Our latest proposal is known as JITTs
(Just-In-Time-Trees), and you can find presentations/papers at: the
JITTs homepage, http://www.jitts.org or you can visit our homepage on
overlapping markup at: http://www.sbl-site2.org/Overlap/.

The basic idea is that markup (and hence trees) are recognized as part
of processing of a file and has no meaning for a parser until it has
been told to recognize that particular markup token.

What would be required is to change the order of processing used by most
(if not all XML parsers) to processing the DTD/Schema first and using
the resulting tree as the basis for recognition of markup events by SAX.
(The SAX module then only recognizing markup tokens in the tree.) The
only problem with that approach that has been suggested to us involves
directly nested elements, such as <div>blah, blah<div>blah,
blah</div>blah, blah</div>, but the incidence of such markup is unknown.

The advantage to our approach is that a DomLite tree could be
constructed that retains the unrecognized markup (unlike a SAX filter)
and upon retreival of the container (recognized markup), the previously
unrecognized markup could be processed for presentation to the user.
Simulated tests of this type of processing indicates substantial gains
in processing speed over traditional construction of full DOM trees.
Another advantage is that it operates with standard XML syntax, unlike
some proposals, such as LMNL, which has its own (non-XML) format.

>How long would it take for the new processing model to become really
>popular?

Well, it has not become popular (yet!) but the rise of partial parsing
XML parsers and the like indicate that the need for something more
efficient than current processing models for XML. JITTs has been
criticized because it makes well-formedness a question that is answered
at the time of processing. Personally, I don't find well-formedness
apart from recognition at the time of processing by a parser all that
compelling (or even meaningful). There are substantial advantages to
meeting the requirements of well-formedness as part of processing.

I think the first successful JITTs parser that can be applied to large
documents, the usual posts to this list, "I have a 10 MB document and
need to build a DOM tree...," will force a change in the current "markup
recognition first, useful document processing later" approach. The whole
point of markup was to enable the processing of documents, not to create
artificial limitations to prevent it.

Patrick

>Jimmy

Patrick Durusau