   Re: [xml-dev] Vocabulary Combination

Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> wrote:
| Arjun Ray wrote:
|> Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> wrote:

|>| Any rule that handled the book/html case would fall apart in the face
|>| of XSLT/XSLFO.
|>
|> The general problem is the same.
|
| Not really.

Yes really.

| One is a code/literal problem. The other is a "reuse these semantics"
| problem.

What is this "reuse these semantics" problem?  Once again, this is not
about what names could mean.

| They are quite different which is why there is no general semantics
| for embedding namespaces.

The notion that XSLT "needs" namespaces is the same delusion.

| [XSLT, WSDL, RDF etc] ascribe their own semantics to the syntactic
| convention of "foreign namespaces".

That is precisely what I mean by DWIMming: you are setting "rules" for
"others", not just for "yourself".

| If BookML were formally defined then the formal definition should tell
| you how to handle PCDATA in the extraction of the implicit XHTML
| document.

Yes, we know this.  That's how classical AFs work, for example (using a
validation schema to drive parsing).  But once again, I'm not concerned
with schema-driven parsing.  I'm concerned with markup to isolate that
which could be validated if someone wanted (but validation is *not*
necessarily the purpose of the discrimination achieved by parsing.)

| But the simple answer is you cannot tell how to segment namespaced
| fragments just by relying on the semantics defined in the Namespaces
| specification.

Correct.  The spec is silent on this, and thus useless for the general
problem of vocabulary combination *by syntax*.

| You must also rely on the rule defined by your vocabulary.

Nope.  That's a myth too.