   Re: [xml-dev] Choosing when to namespace (was Re: Vocabulary Combination

From: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>

> The notion of publishing a vocabulary and saying "it can't be embedded"
> seems to me profoundly weird.  I mean really *distinctly* weird.  -Tim

Umm... thanks?

There are vocabularies designed specficially for embedding, such as Dublic
Core.  There are vocabularies designed to be used as the primary vocabulary
or embedded, such as XHTML.  So why not a vocabulary thats designed to be
used only as the primary vocabulary?  Peter Hunsberger argues that this is
"fragile".  Quite the contrary, I think it is very solid, though certainly
less flexible.

Now, if it turns out down the line that this was indeed short-sighted and
all sorts of good uses could be made of embedding RNA elements inside of
other documents, then a new version can certainly be created to accomodate
this use.  But until that day comes along, why place the additional overhead
of namespaces in the specs, processors, etc. if it does not add much/any
value?

---
Seairth Jacobs
seairth@seairth.com