   Re: [xml-dev] Vocabulary Combination and optional namespaces

Joe English wrote:

> Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> >
> > At 02:44 PM 5/29/2003 -0700, Joe English wrote:
> > >[...] the nice simple data model of elements, attributes,
> > >and text turns into a vastly more complicated data model, where
> > >names are <namespace-name,local-name> pairs -- or even worse,
> > ><namespace-name,namespace-prefix,local-name> triplets -- instead
> > >of atomic strings, and you have to keep track of the namespace
> > >environment to serialize or deserialize anything.
> >
> > There are people who argue that you could just borrow someone else's pain
> > and use an off-the-shelf parser with a standard API,
>
> But _are_ there any toolkits that handle namespaces sanely?
> I haven't found any yet.  (SXML comes pretty close though).

humor me.
take a second and look as the class definitions for the document model which
cl-xml targets.

the document model is expressed entirely in terms of an abstract name type,
which can be implemented either with symbols or with clos instances. if one
decides to use symbols, no operations particular to namespaces appear anywhere
in application code. if one is concerned about more refined control over the
scope and extent of namespaces there is an alternative which behaves roughly
the same, but offers better protection against things like resource-based
attacks. in that case one needs to be aware of whether the namespaces are
defined statically or exist relative to documents / document models.

over the two years since i first posted cl-xml i get intermittent mail when
some ansi compatibility in my code turns up against some vendor's new release.
i get intermittent mail about some bug or other.

the only question i can recall getting which was related to namespaces
concerned an early version which interjected the declarations for xml and
xmlns in the root element of serialized documents. i fixed that when the
related entry appeared in the namespaces errata.

if one can program lisp (ie, if you know what (eq 'a 'b) means) one can write
lisp programs which work on xml documents without learning anything new. names
are modeled as atomic interned objects - either symbols or clos instances. the
parser/serializer handles them completely transparently as first class objects.

as demonstrated by this, there is no need for special application namespace handlers.

none.