   Re: [xml-dev] Vocabulary Combination and optional namespaces

Arjun Ray wrote:

> Basically, when multiple vocabularies are in play, you can't automatically
> assume - i.e. as a default - the vocabulary to which a generic identifier
> (or attribute name) should be imputed; or for that matter, that there is
> only one relevant generic identifier for the particular element.  You need
> control information associated with the use of each vocabulary at every
> start tag (i.e. for each element structure)

Brilliant. I suggest that an understanding of Arjun's example is prerequisite
for any helpful discussion of 'namespaces' in markup. As a poetics of
vocabulary application and control it is comprehensive, elegant and
efficient--though it is not immediately concerned with ease of programmer's
access to the manipulation of XML, which over four years of discussion on
xml-dev has apparently become the chief criterion for preferring any
particular vocabulary control mechanism.