   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for an example of a name colliision

[Bill de hÓra]

> Does anyone have an example of a collision that can only be solved,
> or even best be solved with XML Namespaces? A neccessary condition
> is ideal, but examples where namespace represents an optimal design
> decision will do. I'm asking for two reasons:
>
>   - in my work with XML I've never run across a collision problem
> that seemed to require namespaces. I wondering whether they're rare
> or whether the markup I dela with is unusual.

The one that leaps to my mind is using an xslt stylesheet to create another
xslt stylesheet.  You need to be able to distinguish the "template", etc.,
elements that are literals destined for the output, from the "template",
etc.  elements that are to be used by the stylesheet to do the
transformation.  Maybe that could be done without namespaces - now that I
bring it up, there will probably be a lot of solutions popping up (I can see
using special attributes to indicate whether something is intended to be a
literal result element or not), but it remains to be seen if any of them
would be reasonably usable.

I do not think that this is an odd, unimportant edge case.  I think it is a
very useful capability.

Cheers,

Tom P