   Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft and "XML Everywhere"

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com writes:
>In the various discussions of what Microsoft did, or didn't, promise
>to do with XML in Office 2003 I don't recall seeing mention of these
>statements:

Microsoft appears to be rolling back its enthusiasm.  Strange, but not
all that unusual.  I don't know if anyone has video of the various XML
2002 sessions; that might help clarify whether "what the press picks up
is usually only vaguely related to what we say to them anyway."

Perhaps this odd question-answer disconnect from that same (edited for
clarity) chat gives some suggestion of how this miscommunication came to
be:

--------------------------------------
Q: I would like more information about using XML in Word and Excel. Do
you have any schemas that work?

A: Based on this feedback, we decided not to put it onto the Desktop in
Office 2003. It's been suggested that we provide a way to control this
behavior, and we will look at this again for the next release of Office.
Word 2003 and Excel 2003 Professional editions will work with ANY XML
schemas.

-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/
itcommunity/chats/trans/Office/off0506.asp

I'm really hoping that's an editing error of some kind, but it's very
interesting as it stands.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!