   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Voting (Was: XML Catalogs finished?)

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:46:11PM +0200, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> > At least in theory, the Director choice model may help with these, but
> > assembling a majority of AC representatives to oppose a spec and get
> > that message through seems like a difficult task at best.
>
> I wouldn't think so. The way I understand the process, if a number of AC reps
> clamour vigorously against a spec, something will come of it. You don't need a
> majority.

Right.  Any objection will be treated much as if it were a last call
comment, and a case-by-case decision made.

I think that rather than a culture of ignoring objections or taking
a straight vote, the consensus-based culture means every objection
must be understood and, if appropriate, dealt with.

It's not really a case of lobbying, it's a case of demonstrating a
clear technical argument, and the earlier in the process that happens,
the easier it is for a working group to address it, usually.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, liam@w3.org, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/