   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Voting (Was: XML Catalogs finished?)

From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>

> 3) I don't know if the W3C expects (like OASIS) 80% of voters to have no
> opinion, but there are lots of automatic yes votes.  This isn't an
> isolated case - ISO is often the same way - but it makes #2 trickier.

There are no automatic yes votes for ISO standards, in the sense of
a default yes vote (and I have been a voter) at the national level where
it counts. (Indeed, it seems that even a few no votes might cause the
ISO Secretariat to step in.) The lack of a vote from a country shows the
lack of interest in a technology, which is not enough to stifle it (providing
a quorum exists), which is as it should be.

The voting countries who are currently active in the ISO document description and processing
languages work include Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Holland, Japan, Norway, US,
and maybe some others. (There are also ring-ins from countries who are not
maintaining voting status but are involved, such as my country, Australia, and
Korea.)  I am sure more are welcome.

Cheers
Rick.