   Re: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

I had a discussion with an eXtreme Programmer recently, wherein he pointed out his utter disdain for things XMLish, and pointed to YAML as his idea of a Far Far Better Thing.
Further discussion revealed quite clearly that his intended applications were all very focussed on data serialization.  I'd be prepared to cede the point, having seen plenty of abusive XML in that area, but...

First, I've never liked working with COBOL's fixed positioning, and YAML smacks too much of it.  For working with a Wiki, it is fine, because you aren't working with code or data. The stated goals of YAML could ostensibly be used to write this objection off, but we all know that initial goals have a way of being extended by the users of a technology.

Second, YAML confuses many XML-based technologies with XML itself. The various justifications and contrasts to XML in the spec and supporting articles are hyperbolic with respect to XML itself, though no doubt there are justifiable criticisms one might make individually to specific technologies and approaches for specific tasks (SOAP, DOM...).

Third, YAML deliberately conflates its underlying processing and storage models with its syntax. This is explained as a simplification, and contrasted to XML. However, I see no reason why an XML technology cannot be proposed which implements similar primitives. Indeed, I see as a strength of XML, the refactoring and separation of syntax from the data processing and information models which YAML implies is a weakness.

This last argument is a very old one. YAML does appear to hold value for data serialization. But a little nagging feeling inside tells me that there is a myopic viewpoint at play.

- Mitch