   Re: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

mamiano@nc.rr.com (Mitch Amiano) writes:
> [much good, from a markup perspective]
>
>YAML does appear to hold value
>for data serialization. But a little nagging feeling inside tells me
>that there is a myopic viewpoint at play.

I have to congratulate the YAML folks for their "myopic viewpoint".
They've set out to solve a much smaller set of problems in ways which
are convenient for those problems.  They keep the Unicode text advantage
of XML, but go their own way for solving their own (still general but
much more tightly focused) set of problems.

I've found in practice that data serialization brings with it a myopic
viewpoint on XML, and to put it bluntly, I'd rather have alternative
approaches which cater to that viewpoint than deal with efforts which
force data serialization notions into XML specifications.

To me, the name "YAML Ain't Markup Language" makes clear the separation
from markup approaches. That separation seems far more likely to make
both people who care about markup and people who don't happy than
continuing to force both groups into one set of specs, tools, and
practices.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!