   RE: [xml-dev] Doc vs. Data

I'm not sure I agree with your comments on pull vs. push based processing. I do agree that mixed content is the  probably the most relevant differentiator between data-centric & document-centric uses of XML. However I don't see where this leads to the position that there is antagonism between the folks that tend to create XML documents that contain mixed content and those that don't.

________________________________

From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com]
Sent: Fri 6/6/2003 11:05 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] Doc vs. Data

At 2003-06-06 10:51 -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>Does anyone have any concrete differences between such uses of XML that
>require such divisive terms as "doc vs data people".

Would mixed content suffice?

Data-oriented data can often be processed entirely with a "pull" model
(XSLT or XQuery), while document-oriented mixed content needs to be
processed with a "push" model (XSLT template rules).

I'm not sure I've ever seen mixed content used in a data-oriented model,
but mixed content is very important to document-oriented information.

Does this help?

.................. Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
-      (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc