   Re: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

Jonathan Robie wrote:

>At 11:17 AM 6/6/2003 -0700, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
>

>>Data-centric: The whole Schema crowd, who tend to see XML documents as
>>equivalent to hierarchical databases
>>

>As opposed to the TEI crowd, who were intent on the use of XML documents to
>represent literature used in the humanities....
>
>I consider W3C XML Schema too complex for its functionality, but the above
>statement is really pretty ignorant.

I did say "tend to see", rather than "only see". Your example seems to
go along with this, since it's just text organized into a database-like
layout. I agree that this can be very useful to use in combination with
XML processing tools, but it's still what I would consider a
data-centric structure. Just because the original text was a play
doesn't mean the marked-up form is document-centric.

I didn't mean to imply that these two styles of XML neatly partitioned
the space of XML users, and I apologize if my flip usage of "Schema
crowd" gave that impression. Many people do both data-centric and
document-centric work using XML (including me, though most of my
applications are data-centric). There still seems to be a substantial
difference in style, though.