   Re: Re: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

grimlinda@earthlink.net (Linda Grimaldi) writes:
>I agree with you, Simon- it's a good, pragmatic approach.  However, I
>wonder what happened to the old promise of XML a la Mr. Goldfarb- to
>remove the distinction between docs and data.

Speaking philosophically, I think Goldfarb's vision is an excellent one,
well-worth keeping in mind.  In practical terms, I think we're going to
see more of an iterative process reaching that vision.  I keep finding
that the people telling me that the distinction has fallen already tend
to be the people selling me things (functionality, tools, etc.) I don't
want.

>In many cases, it's not a viable vision, perhaps- and I never was very
>sure why I'd want to treat my data like a doc anyway.  Markup does give
>me the ability to extract data from my docs, which is probably more to
>the point.

I think there's probably going to be some kind of convergence over time.
I worry a lot that we've had too many proclamations that "XML solves the
document/data divide", or that "XML schema solves the document/data
divide".  We're not nearly there yet, and it's clear that different
groups of people have different priorities.

YAML seems like a great experiment to me, offering people who care
primarily about the data a chance to work with the benefits of a textual
format in a context that's still general but attempts to solve a lot
smaller problem set.

I think we have a lot more experiments ahead of us before the
distinctions fade.  In the meantime, we have a lot of great stuff too.
XML has made a lot of things easy that used to be difficult, notably the
extraction case you mention.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!