   RE: Re: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

As far as I'm concerned besides empty philosophizing there is little distinction between data and documents when it comes to XML. The distinction of note I've seen pointed out is that data-centric applications typically avoid mixed content while document-centric XML applications typically embrace it.

________________________________

From: Linda Grimaldi [mailto:grimlinda@earthlink.net]
Sent: Fri 6/6/2003 11:24 AM
To: Simon St.Laurent; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: Re: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

I agree with you, Simon- it's a good, pragmatic approach.  However, I wonder what happened to the old promise of XML a la Mr. Goldfarb- to remove the distinction between docs and data.
In many cases, it's not a viable vision, perhaps- and I never was very sure why I'd want to treat my data like a doc anyway.  Markup does give me the ability to extract data from my docs, which is probably more to the point.

To me, the name "YAML Ain't Markup Language" makes clear the separation
from markup approaches. That separation seems far more likely to make
both people who care about markup and people who don't happy than
continuing to force both groups into one set of specs, tools, and
practices.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!