   RE: [xml-dev] Doc vs. Data

I don't know that people necessarily want to hide XML, I think they just want to hide complexity. However, if the XML markup they are using has become so complex as to no longer be human readable, one can't help asking, why use XML in the first place?

The amount of work that has gone into refactoring XML to make it appear suitable for traditional data oriented applications is quite mind boggling. The only useful thing such applcations have really taken from XML is its ubiquity (or so it seems).

I am actually rather uncomfortable at what appears to be seen as the clean divide between data oriented and document oriented applications (despite above comments). I work in an environment where I have to deal regularly with XML as data and XML as document (and that includes mixed content). I find that there is increasingly more and more of an overlap between the two ideas of XML, as we try to realise the benefits of using XML to carry information end to end (if there really is an end!), through multiple tranformations.

All the best

Mark

The information in this email is sent in confidence for the addressee only and may be legally privileged.  Unauthorised recipients must preserve this confidentiality and should please advise the sender immediately of the error in transmission.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken in reliance on its content is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Origo Services Ltd accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this email or the contents.