   Re: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0

In a message dated 09/06/2003 19:54:36 GMT Daylight Time, costello@mitre.org writes:

Comparison (number of printed pages of the specification)

xPath 1.0   xPath 2.0   increase
----------------------------------
45      254      564%

The increase is 464% not 564%, as stated.

XSLT 1.0    XSLT 2.0   increase
128      385      301%

The increase is 201% not 301%.

I have read the specs on screen, never printing them out.

Can you clarify what the page counts in version 2.0 refer to?

Does the XPath figure refer to the XPath 2.0 spec plus the Functions and Operators spec? Also Data Model? Did you include the Formal Semantics spec?

Did you include the Serialization spec in the figures for XSLT 2.0?

I am slightly surprised at the absolute numbers. I would have expected the total number of pages for XPath to exceed the number for XSLT 2.0. Or maybe the XSLT spec is just easier to read. :)

Andrew Watt