   Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8 use with XML

Long, Craig Z wrote:
> Given the following element using a utf character (created by a user's
> system): <BirthCity>Trenton?/BirthCity> I've been told my system should be
> programmed to accept this.  I can't find any documentation which supports
> yes or no to this premise.  Currently we reject this as not well-formed XML.
> Please offer expertise concerning this issue.

If it really contains a UTF8 character, no programming should be
required, all conforming XMl software is required to accept UTF data.
Things that could be wrong:

- there's an encoding declaration at the front of the file saying it's
   something other than UTF-8
- you think it's UTF-8 but it isn't.

If there's no encoding declaration, then the second is almost certainly
true.  If you provide a hex dump of the affected region there are
several people here who could look at it and tell you whether it's
really UTF-8

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)