   xhtml, javascript, hierarchical menus.

Most hierarchical menu scripts seem to work on the principal of having a
javascript array of links that are then written to a part of the
document using dom. This as far as I can understand goes against the
guiding ideas of xhtml, it's simple enough to toggle on/off visibility
of particular content, but to control a multi-level menu seems to
require this dynamic document manipulation; anyone have any ideas how a
multi-level menu in the right spirit of xhtml could be controlled?

Also one thing I've never understood, most spiders I've ever seen depend
on reading markup links not javascript dynamically written links, yet
such links are rather common, how do spiders deal with them? Just
curious.