   Re: [xml-dev] xhtml, javascript, hierarchical menus.

[bryan]> Most hierarchical menu scripts seem to work on the principal of
having a
> javascript array of links that are then written to a part of the
> document using dom. This as far as I can understand goes against the
> guiding ideas of xhtml, it's simple enough to toggle on/off visibility
> of particular content, but to control a multi-level menu seems to
> require this dynamic document manipulation; anyone have any ideas how a
> multi-level menu in the right spirit of xhtml could be controlled?

Think CSS.  You can do full cascading menus with no javascript using just
CSS2 - if you have enough browser compliance.  IE does not, Mozilla does,
Opera 7 does. See Eric Meyer's site -

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

The problem with IE is that they did not implement :hover in all elements,
just on anchors (there maybe another one a well, I forget).  :hover is the
hook for displaying the cascade of menus.

Cheers,

Tom P