   Re: [xml-dev] modeling, validating and documenting an xml grammar

Jonathan Borden wrote:
> Joe English wrote:
> >
> > What are the real-world use cases of minOccurs and maxOccurs?
> > In my experience, occurrence constraints specifying anything
> > other than zero, one, or many are almost always an indication
> > of a bad design decision somewhere in the system.
>
> Number of living parents,
> grandparents,
> Number of (one's) kidneys
> Digits on left hand
> Chambers in heart...
> Human chromosomes...

OK, let me rephrase that: what are the real-world use cases
of minOccurs and maxOccurs _in XML vocabulary definitions_?

And I'm somewhat suspicious of the above examples, too.
I have a friend with eight grandparents.  Some people have
six or more digits per hand.  Polysomy is not at all infrequent.
You'd need to consult the Guinness Book of World Records to
determine a suitable value for maxOccurs if you were for
some strange reason writing a schema that modeled any of the above
as elements.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com