   Re: [xml-dev] Create XML

Rich Salz wrote:

> I didn't say it was easy.  I said it was disappointing that the average
> programmer can't just output a little bit of XML -- a config file,
> for example -- without some heavyweight API.

I agree it's disappointing.  One of my regrets about XML is that we
didn't get rid of attribute normalization and I think we should either
have required > to be escaped everywhere or should have allowed ]]>
outside CDATA sections.

> That would mean, for
> example, embedded returns -- unnormalized line-end -- are out of
> scope for what I was talking about.

I don't understand why.  When I'm creating XML, some parts of what I am
creating may well have come from parsing an XML document.  That means if
there's any XML infoset that my program cannot serialize correctly, it's
potentially a bug.

James