   RE: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0

At 12:17 PM 6/20/2003 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
> > Maybe W3C should require the development of a reference
> > implementation for every spec. This is the way Sun's Java
> > Community Process works.
>
>W3C arguably goes beyond this: it requires multiple implementations of a
>specification before the spec goes from Candidate Rec to Rec status.

I would have infinitely more faith in that process - and the process by
which Candidate Rec is occasionally skipped - if there was a public report
acknowledging which implementations were used as the basis for the
decision.  (And no, I wouldn't count member-private implementations as
enough to move a spec forward.)

Right now, there's no way to evaluate whether the W3C goes beyond the JCP
or IETF on this.  My under-informed understanding is that it does not.