   Re: [xml-dev] Attribute Order (Was: Create XML )

At 9:07 AM -0400 6/22/03, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>At this point, I'm not convinced the unique names requirement was all
>that great an idea either.

Unique names make the API design a lot easier. Compare this to the
case of child elements where the possibility of multiple child
elements with the same name leads to ugliness like
getFirstChildElement(String name). Worse yet, a lot of APIs
incorrectly assume that there is only one element with a given name
so instead you have things like getChildElement(String name) that can
lose information. Not that we shouldn't be allowed to  have multiple
child elements with the same name, but it does ad to the complexity
of XML. I see no practical reason to saddle attributes with these
issues too.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu