   Re: [xml-dev] DITA xml

DITA appears to be very similar to the concept of Topic Maps [1]. In
hunting for the similarities/differences between the two, I came across
the following October 2001 quote [2] from Michael Priestley, DITA
Specialization Architect (a response to a question):

<Quote>
>(which seems to me the same as what the topic map spec
>describes: the ability to "enable multiple, concurrent views of sets
>of information objects").

Yep, with the caveat that we're talking potentially about preprocessed,
packaged information here, and a set of very structured, predictable
information, rather than the kind of heterogeneous distributed
information that topic maps are enabled for. But the basic idea
(separation of view structure from source structure) is the same (we
call it context and content, because context includes a wider variety of
things, but same basic idea).
</Quote>

Hope that helps,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://www.topicmaps.org/

bryan wrote:

> Does anyone here have experience with DITA xml
> http://xml.coverpages.org/dita.html and can you give me a clear idea as
> to how widespread a format it is, from reading the coverpages reference
> above it sounds interesting, and it has a number of associated
> resources, mostly IBM specific, what I'd like to know is how often does
> one actually come across DITA xml in any sort of usage?

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano