   RE: [xml-dev] XML-based Automation (Was: Zen or Games?)

clbullar@ingr.com (Bullard, Claude L (Len)) writes:
>The question is, if possible, by what means and in which cases can
>one obtain an automated service that has the QOS rating of a
>human service?

I'm working on automation for basic XML processing - things like missing
entities, etc. - and I think there are reasonable approaches to reducing
repetition while still keeping the human component involved and
interested.  The software can't be a locked box expected to run on its
own; it needs to have an interface to humans to deal with cases it
doesn't understand, often because they weren't expected by the
designers.

Walter Perry talked a long time ago about building systems which run
fine with what they know but are willing to ask a human for help when
they run into circumstances they don't understand.  I've thought of this
as "human exception processing" of a sort, and I guess that survives in
the automated phone systems as the "Hit 0 when you're completely
frustrated".   It's a model I'm trying to build into all my programs
going forward, as one aspect of making interactions between humans and
the computers processing their data friendlier if not necessarily
simpler.

On the phone issues, I called up IBM the other day with a problem I
thought was simple (changing credit card numbers on an order), but it
took three people to take my information and I still don't have a
confirmation email.  I'll know what happened when I see the bill, I
guess.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!