   Re: [xml-dev] XML-based Automation (Was: Zen or Games?)

In a message dated 26/06/2003 20:47:08 GMT Daylight Time, cowan@mercury.ccil.org writes:

Bullard, Claude L (Len) scripsit:
>The question is, if possible, by what means and in which cases can
>one obtain an automated service that has the QOS rating of a
>human service?

Which human service?  The quality of the automated service that transmits
this email from me to you is a whole lot better than any conceivable
messenger would be.

John,

As in many situations it's a trade-off.

Email, for example, fails utterly to transmit "tone of voice", visual gestures (the raised eyebrow, the mischievous twinkle in the eye). Yes, we can provide substitutes such as the many variations on :), or <grin/>, or whatever.

It seems to me that there is little prospect of email conveying those nuances of human communication for some time to come.

Yes, email is fast and works well in distributed situations where face to face conversation would be expensive, slow etc.

In some respects email is better, In others it is deficient.

Andrew Watt