   Re: [xml-dev] Create XML

At 4:09 PM +1000 6/21/03, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>Personally, I like attribute normalization.  Being able to use an XPath
>like   @x="y"   rather than  normalize-space(@x)="y"  save keystrokes.
>In fact, for me, one of the most common problems of using using tokens
>in data content is that I invariably forget to normalize-space() the data
>first. This is a nasty problem, of course, because it only shows up when
>certain kinds of markup is used.

But since most attributes either are CDATA or are treated as CDATA,
that only works as long as there are no runs of more than one white
space character, and no leading or trailing white space. Attribute
value normalization by the parser rarely goes as far as XPath's
normalize-space does.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu