   Re: [xml-dev] OFFTOPIC: Job Opportunity

In a message dated 27/06/2003 20:19:26 GMT Daylight Time, jcowan@reutershealth.com writes:

Michael Kay scripsit:

>I didn't perceive any slight at all. Just a linguistic inaccuracy. To
>Len, I am a foreigner or a non-American (and proud of it). I am no more
>"international" than he is.

"International", like "remote", is a relative-to-self adjective.  From
Boston, Perth is remote (indeed, the most remote city); from Midland, W.A.,
Perth is anything but remote.

John,

You are confusing "international" with "foreign". The latter genuinely is a relative-to-self adjective.

International is an adjective referring to entities which have some relationship between nations. For example, the United (sic) Nations is an international body.

Andrew Watt