   [xml-dev] Lessons from the RSS Civil War: Don't Get Stuck In Endless Na

Hi Paul,

>   C -> C++ -> Java -> C#
>
> By choosing new names for new things, it is possible
> to talk
> meaningfully about the difference between C# and C
> rather than
> "Microsoft C" and "Sun C" and "AT&T C" which has a
> totally different
> connotation.

  I appreciate your strive for precision.

> I don't think anybody minds Luxor building on XUL or
> even keeping the
> XUL name for the parts that are compatible with
> traditional XUL. The
> flamewar is when XUL is applied to random XML
> technologies that happen
> to have something to do with user interfaces.

  Well, as the RSS civil war shows no matter what name
you choose someone always feels left out. You can't
please everybody.

  I respect your opinion and I won't try to change it.

Following Sam Ruby's example I hope to get a wiki up
and running and then you're more than welcome to
suggest new names and post your opinion and dissent
for all to see.

>   C -> C++ -> Java -> C#

  Now I'm not sure about you but somehow C is a little
overused here, don't you think?

  Let's try it with XUL:

  How about XUL -> XUL++ -> XUL#

  Anyway, don't let us get stuck in an endless flame
war about a three letter acronym and let's move on to
help all UI motors interop by creating tag
compatibility charts, for examples. Any takers?

  - Gerald