   Allowed PEReference usages

Hello,

I've been reading the XML specs for some time now, and I am completely
stumped attempting to understand the restrictions on PEReferences.
Could someone please comment which pairs of definition/uses below are
allowed?  An explanation or pointer to the relevant portion of the
spec as to *why* the usage is valid/invalid would be extremely
helpful.

<!ENTITY % pe "!ELEMENT e ANY">
<%pe;>

<!ENTITY % pe "ELEMENT e ANY">
<!%pe;>

<!ENTITY % pe "ELEMENT">
<!%pe; e ANY>

<!ENEITY %pe " ">
<!ELEMENT%pe;e ANY>

<!ENTITY % pe "!ELEM">
<%pe;ENT e ANY>

<!ENTITY % pe "ELEM">
<!%pe;ENT e ANY>

<!ENTITY % pe "Y">
<!ELEMENT e AN%pe;>

<!ENTITY % pe "ELEMENT e">
<!%pe; ANY>

<!ENTITY % pe "x 'value'">
<!ENTITY % %pe;>

<!ENTITY % pe "% x 'val">
<!ENTITY %pe;ue'>

In addition, how does one declare a PE that contains a literal '%'?
How about does one declare a PE that contains both a single and double
quote?  Assuming that it is possible to declare a PE named 'percent'
with a literal '%', is the following allowed?

<!ENTITY %percent; x "value">

Thanks!
-Brett