   Re: [xml-dev] How important are CDATA sections?

gustaf.liljegren@bredband.net (Gustaf Liljegren) writes:
>It may seem I use XML editors a lot. I do use XML editors for
>documents. For all other tasks however, I use a plain text editor.
>It's just that when you need a CDATA section, you're probably writing
>a document -- you're not fiddling with code. And when you're writing a
>document, you're probably working in an XML editor. If not, you're
>doing things the unusal way. And I question the necessity of a
>construct which is made for unusual circumstances, in an otherwise
>minimal syntax.

We seem to live in different worlds.  I've spent years learning about
and then fighting off what I consider the pernicious effects of your
world on the expectations and tool sets available for mine.  Your
"unusual" circumstances are my every day, and I don't think they're all
that unusual even outside of my office.

I don't expect the content of XML to change any time in the near future.
There may be alternatives for particular needs (YAML, for instance), but
I suspect the  development of alternatives rather than change at the
core is going to be the likely approach going forward.

If you'd personally prefer not to use CDATA sections, you're quite
welcome to do that.  If you produce tools which ignore CDATA sections,
you should probably not expect applause.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!