   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT vs. CSS (Re: Indexing)

At 04:58 PM 7/8/2003 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
>Perhaps. But as Thomas is saying/implying.
>the real winners are those who use both?
>  CSS is crap at some things XSLT is good at.
>  XSLT is crap at some things CSS does well.

Wouldn't it be pretty to think so?

For people with the time to learn both, and in cases where implementations
of both are available, that's true.  For the rest of us (most of us?) they
compete for attention and certainly for implementation.

I'll stand by this:
-----------------------------
[The divide between XSL and CSS is] also an excellent metaphor for what a
lousy job the XML community did at reaching Web developers, and had the
practical effect of giving Microsoft an excellent story for never getting
around to implementing the CSS2 properties that make formatting XML
directly with CSS much easier.  "I want to present my XML data as a table."
"You want that?  Use XSLT!"  "But I know CSS!"  "Too bad."

It's not a pleasant situation, unless you have control over all your tool
choices, all the time.  We can pretend it's not a problem, but that's,
well, pretending.