   Re: [xml-dev] Motivations for namespaces (sorry)

Thomas B. Passin said:

> The namespace tells immediately which schema is in play.

No, that's not always as simple.

There isn't always a schema and even when there is a schema (or more than
one schema) there is nothing in a XML document (except maybe its public ID
which unfortunately mandates a DTD) which describes the combination used
to mix the namespaces.
If you take a RDF document, the namespace of the document element is
always the RDF namespace and you must dig almost randomly into the
document to find its true nature. The situation is hardly better in a
XHTML document.
I am not ranting against namespaces, but I think that we need something
else to describe what I am tempted to call the document type...
Eric

--
Freelance consulting and training.
                                            http://dyomedea.com/english/