   Re: [xml-dev] Motivations for namespaces (sorry)

[Eric van der Vlist]

> Thomas B. Passin said:
>
> > The namespace tells immediately which schema is in play.
>
> No, that's not always as simple.
>
> There isn't always a schema and even when there is a schema (or more than
> one schema) there is nothing in a XML document (except maybe its public ID
> which unfortunately mandates a DTD) which describes the combination used
> to mix the namespaces.

Eric, I do not really disagree with you, but I was responding to David M's
question about real applications, and I limited my remarks to the one thing
I have worked on where I am really glad that namespaces are available (not
counting xslt).

Cheers,

Tom P