   Re: [xml-dev] Relax NG and Web Services (formerly Joining the church)

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the terminology confusion.  I was using XSD (for XML
Schema Document -- same as the file extension).

Same point applies ... I agree that RNG and tool support for it
are on the rise.  The original question was "why would anyone
use anything else?"  The short-term answer is that XML Schema is
still the only game for web services until WSDL 1.2 is adopted
and implemented.

That is my current take on the situation,

- Mike

n a message dated 7/10/2003 6:41:57 AM US Mountain Standard Time, bill@dehora.net writes:

I'm confused. XSD and RNG are to a large degree orthogonal - XSD is
a type system, RNG is an a schema language for XML. Perhaps XSD is
being conflated with WXS?

>While there are possible workarounds, I don't believe the current
>web-service tools or
>specs support using Relax NG.  And when explaining this to policy makers,
>a custom workaround without significant benefits won't fly.

Well less than two years ago, RNG was a fringe technology. Now it's
on the rise - I'm confident over the next two years RNG + son of XSD
will be the way we describe content models for web services. So I
suspect you'll see support for RNG in these tools. Although, if
policy makers are being diven by tools instead of technologies,
arguably they're putting the cart before the horse  - but that's a
different discussion.

Michael C. Daconta
Chief Scientist, APG, McDonald Bradley, Inc.
www.daconta.net