   RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG and Web Services (formerly Joining the church)

You might be interpreting that more favorably than it was
for any given instance, and avoiding the unpleasantries of
the secondary interpretations that made it into the press,
but for the results, you about right.

On the other hand, as a means of decoration and validation,
and as a means to contractually commit to the form, DTDs
keep on keeping on.  Why?  Probably because whether the
XML specification team realized it or not, it is in the
sweetspot of capabilities if not the desirable syntax.
RELAX made it even sweeter and that may be what Tim
is alluding to here.  Given he says he has been using
DTDs, that makes sense.  He only needs a little more
capability as RSS/nEcho is not a complicated language
and for that, Relax is perfect.  He just
goes a step too far and suggests that no one else
should need XSD and that is somewhat the same as saying
no one should need more than he does.  XSD designers
may disagree.

I will still be suggesting to the X3D Team that they
consider a RELAX version of their schema because the
DTD is torture and it is an interesting test to see
if RELAX ends up being better than the XSD currently
provided.  If so, that is good anecdotal evidence.

Types are a concern for X3D.  I am interested in
discovering if that is a characteristic for XML
apps designed as encodings of object models first,
and only secondarily as documents for bits on the wire.

len

From: David Megginson [mailto:david@megginson.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) writes:

 > What is interesting to me is that this many years after the
 > specification of XML, all of the noise about relying on
 > well-formedness and self-description, and the general public
 > distain for DTDs, how many people are still using DTDs and who they
 > are.

You might be distorting that past discussion a bit.  A lot of people
argued in favour of the benefits of DTD-less processing, but I don't
think that many disputed the benefit of a DTD or other schema on the
authoring side.

For me, a DTD or other schema on the processing side is little more
than a stylesheet for transforming XML documents into a boolean value
(valid/not-valid).  That can sometimes be very useful for specific
types of applications, but the whole thing could use some serious
demystification -- on the production side, schemas are really no more
important than any other kind of stylesheet.