   Re: [xml-dev] Big XML file

  • To: "Miguel A. Robles" <marobles.sag@mail.sgae.es>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Big XML file
  • From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:05:10 -0400
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 02:24:10PM +0200, Miguel A. Robles wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I usually work with XML for sending on information between different servers or applications. For example, currently I'm working with web services and everithing works fine. The problem appears now, because I have to parse a document containing a lot of information. DOM is not enough to accomplish the object because the document is extremly large, and I don't know how SAX deals with this kind of files.
>
> I know that XML is not intended for containing so much information, but I have to think about a possible solution.
>
> What do you think I could act to fix the problem?

  Well if you're ready to go C or Python, libxml2 recent versions can handle
(and validate) very large XML instances using an API based on C# xmlReader,
there are documentation at
   http://xmlsoft.org/xmlreader.html
 Note that you can ask to expand a subtree and use XPath on it for convenience.
I Relax-NG validated a 4.5GByte instance with it a couple of months ago
(on a 32bits architecture).

Daniel