   RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG and Web Services (formerly Joining the church)

Bullard, Claude L (Len) writes:

 > What is interesting to me is that this many years after the
 > specification of XML, all of the noise about relying on
 > well-formedness and self-description, and the general public
 > distain for DTDs, how many people are still using DTDs and who they
 > are.

You might be distorting that past discussion a bit.  A lot of people
argued in favour of the benefits of DTD-less processing, but I don't
think that many disputed the benefit of a DTD or other schema on the
authoring side.

For me, a DTD or other schema on the processing side is little more
than a stylesheet for transforming XML documents into a boolean value
(valid/not-valid).  That can sometimes be very useful for specific
types of applications, but the whole thing could use some serious
demystification -- on the production side, schemas are really no more
important than any other kind of stylesheet.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, david@megginson.com, http://www.megginson.com/