   Re: [xml-dev] Motivations for namespaces (sorry)

[Eric van der Vlist]
> Thomas,
>
> This sounds like a really innovative use of namespace prefixes! What about
> languages such as Schematron and Relax NG (not to mention Examplotron
> which is worse) which use to use a default namespace?
> Also, let's take a RSS 1.0 document:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>  <rdf:RDF
>   xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
>   xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";
>   xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/";
>   xmlns:co="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/company/";
>   xmlns:ti="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/textinput/";
>   xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/";
> >
>    <channel rdf:about="http://meerkat.oreillynet.com/?_fl=rss1.0";>
>     <title>Meerkat</title>
>     <link>http://meerkat.oreillynet.com</link>
>     <description>Meerkat: An Open Wire Service</description>
>     <dc:publisher>The O'Reilly Network</dc:publisher>
>     <dc:creator>Rael Dornfest (mailto:rael@oreilly.com)</dc:creator>
>     <dc:rights>Copyright &#169; 2000 O'Reilly &amp; Associates,
>     Inc.</dc:rights>    <dc:date>2000-01-01T12:00+00:00</dc:date>
>     <sy:updatePeriod>hourly</sy:updatePeriod>
>     <sy:updateFrequency>2</sy:updateFrequency>
>     <sy:updateBase>2000-01-01T12:00+00:00</sy:updateBase>
>
> How do you say that's its a RSS document?

That is a different kind of thing, Eric, that's all.  I wasn't trying to
identify document types.  But even in this example, say I wanted to be sure
what dc:publisher really was supposed to be, so I can ut the right data in
there.  "dc"  is pretty familiar - I would probably say to myself, "hey, I
bet that is Dublin Core, let's see, the URL has purl.org/dc, so I am going
to pull out my Dublin Core info and check it out" (and the first thing I
will do is to check the namespace, because I don't remember it exactly).

Now the next ten times I see an RSS  message like this, I will expect that
"dc" continues to mean Dublin Core, and this will be useful for me.  But it
will not help me recognize a RSS 0.92 document.  You are very right about
that, but that is a different task.