   RE: [xml-dev] Bolt-in Type Systems (RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG and Web Servi

  • To: "Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)" <clbullar@ingr.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Bolt-in Type Systems (RE: [xml-dev] Relax NG and Web Services (formerly Joining the church))
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:12:46 -0700

I think the problem depends on whether the schema will be used only for validation or whether it will be used for type augmentation as well. There is a big difference between check to see if this number is prime (validation) and the datatype of this number is prime number (type augmentation). One is feasible to implement in modern systems while the other is not.

As for datatype libraries being in conflict, I guess I need to see an example scenario before I can confirm or deny that it is possible. Some would probably consider the ability to create union types and ambiguous grammars as potentially creating datatype conflict. However I am not sure this is what you mean.