   RE: [xml-dev] [OT] Tim Bray on Slashdot

> The best interface ever designed for the web is the google
> page:  one box, two buttons, and a human knowledge of terms.
> It doesn't care if it is in a thick client or a thin client
> because its brains aren't owned by either.  Success varies by
> the owner who is as effective as they are smart.

Yup, but Tim talks of :
[[
All computer applications fall into one of three baskets: information
retrieval, database interaction, and content creation. History shows that
the Web browser, or something like it, is the right way to do the first two.
]]

Google similarly only covers the first two.

But surely the 3-basket view is a very backwards-looking approach. Without
content creation intimately linked with IR and *processing* I don't think
we're going get anything like the full benefit of the web. All we have
without the fusion is broadcast media, with at best a load more community
channels. The browser is the best interface in the current environment in
the same way the remote control is the best TV interface.

Cheers,
Danny.